Solaris Tips and Tricks
CD / CD-R
- wgrep is a windowing grep that is useful for grabbing X number of lines before and after a match.
CoolThreads servers (T-series servers)
Libraries (or the lack of them)
- If you are tired of using the switcheroo method of editing files with sed to a temp file, then moving them back, take a look at using the inplace editing function of PERL (perl -i -p -e). However, don't edit files that are really softlinks such as /etc/hosts. It breaks the softlink and makes it a real file.
- What is priority paging and why do I need it if I am running pre Solaris 8?
Releases of Solaris
Raid Manager / RM6 / A1000
Service Management Facility (SMF)
- Where can I find the SE Toolkit?
- Please be careful when running virtual_adrian as it will make changes to the kernel following Adrian's rules.
Solstice DiskSuite/Solaris Volume Manager (SDS/SVM)
Stop-A, L1-A, break key sequence
- Top is very handy at getting a snapshot of your server.
Veritas File System
Veritas Volume Manager
Veritas Volume Replicator
Vold (Volume Management)
X or Xdm
ZFS in Solaris 10
Comments, suggestions, complaints, nifty tip to add?